Friday, November 9, 2012

Je me souviens

Today the grade 7s were honoured to be able to hear Corporal Ryan Shudra from the Loyal Edmonton Regiment speak about his experiences as a Canadian solider in Afghanistan in 2006.  His talk with our group and his speech to the entire class at our Remembrance Day ceremony was very moving.  It is hard to imagine him as a 20-year-old soilder with bullets wizzing by him and his friends dying right in front of him after a suicide bombing.  Make sure to ask your kids about it.  I know I will thank and remember him and the rest of our Armed Forces every Remembrance Day.

Thursday in ELA my grade 7s and I had a really good talk about Remembrance Day and what it means to each of us.  We remember the soldiers who have died in service to our country and their families that mourn their loss.  We remember all those who have served and given up so much of their life and well-being for our freedom.  We think about the impact the tragedies of war must have on all those involved.  We are thankful for all that we have as Canadian citizens.

We lost over 63 thousand in WWI!  In WWII over 1,029,510 Canadian soldiers went off to war (that is over 41% of the male population of Canada at the time!). Of those brave souls we lost  almost 47 thousand lives.  We also lost 516 soldiers in the Korean War and 158 to date in the war in Afghanistan.  Their ultimate sacrifice was not in vain.  http://www.canadaatwar.ca/memorial/

I had each student write a post card to a veteran expressing their gratitude and appreciation.  I mailed them off to local Edmonton area vetrans and know they will be well appreciated. Two students even wrote one to our own Mr .Morrin and to my husband's Grandparents who met and served in WWII.  They were all very touched to receive their cards. 


We will be having our schools' Remembrance Day Ceremony on Friday just before 11:00am.  If any parent's want to come please let me know.  Also I encouraged the kids to take the time to go on the 11th to the Town of Beaumont's ceremony



Lest We Forget



2 comments:

  1. That's wonderful; I'm sure it will mean so much to the veterans that receive the cards!

    ReplyDelete