- 2-3 minutes long
- Uses actions, intonation, and enthusiasm
- students write with the purpose of performing
- passion, strength, energy
- word play, rhythm & rhyme
- expression, gestures, projection
- written & performed individually, in partners, or groups
- content appropriate for ALL grades
Some great examples found here:
Tuesday April 22nd - Make our poems for "poetry in the pocket day".
Thursday April 24th - Morning - Poetry in your pocket day
- We will give staff and students a pocket template to print their name and write a short poem of their own or a copied piece of poetry (with credit to the poet).
- Carry your poem around with you. When anyone asks or you just feel like it, perform your poem.
- Have them sign your card to keep track
- Throughout the morning, everyone will find three people to share their poem with who will initial the back.
- As students enter the gym for the presentation, these pockets will be entered in a draw for prizes.
Thursday April 24th - After lunch - Literacy Celebration
- Classes will present their performance poetry to the school in a special assembly. You can have a writen copy
- Special performance by Mary Pinkoski, Canadian National Poetry Slam Champion and Edmonton’s Poet Laureate.